The Summer holidays are the perfect excuse to indulge in far too much food as we spend lazy days at the beach, visiting friends and celebrating the holidays. But, have you ever stopped to notice that with all this food and drink, our bodies start to slow down and feel more sluggish? As the holidays progress, it’s even harder to get out of bed in the morning and we find ourselves with far less energy. We put it down to ‘holiday mode’ as we switch off and enjoy some downtime away from work and responsibility. We may even find ourselves feeling a little run down, catching bugs more easily.
In fact, it’s the food and drinks we are intaking that are having this effect on us. Feeding your body certain foods can affect your immune system and lower it, making you more susceptible to germs and bugs that come with it.
Your Immune System
Your immune system plays a vital role in your body. It protects you from germs that can make you sick. As long as your immune system is strong, you will be able to fight germs and stay healthy. But sometimes our immune system needs a little help.
The foods we eat and drinks we chose can all have an impact on our immune system. They leave us feeling sluggish and more susceptible to any germs we come into contact with.
Natural Ways To Boost Your Immune System
The best way to boost your immune is by making some changes to your lifestyle:
- Get enough sleep: there is a lot going on in your body while you sleep, even if you don’t realise it. In fact, infection-fighting molecules are formed while you get some much-needed shut eye. Studies have shown that those who don’t get enough sleep are more prone to sickness.
- Eat the right foods: Vitamin B6, Vitamin C and Vitamin E are all important in helping to give your immune system the boost it needs. You can find Vitamin B6 in chicken, salmon, banana and more. Vitamin C is in citrus fruits, tomatoes and spinach. Vitamin E is found in almonds, sunflower seeds and more.
- Exercise regularly: exercise can improve your overall circulation, which makes it easier for your immune cells to travel throughout your body and carry out their essential tasks.
- Drink plenty of water: experts say you should drink about 8 glasses of water each day. There is a fluid in our circulatory system called lymph. It carries important cells around our body that helps fight infections – and it is made mostly of water. If we aren’t drinking enough, the movement slows and we leave ourselves vulnerable.
Best Supplements To Help Your Immune System
Of course, there are times our body can do with a helping hand when it comes to supporting our immune system and staying healthy. If you are hoping to give your immune system a little boost these Summer holidays as you indulge in all the treats, then here are four key ways you can support it.
- Australian By Nature Bilberry Capsules: these capsules contain Vitamin C and phenolic acids, which are known for being a rich source of a class of compounds called anthocyanins – an effective antioxidant. Antioxidants help protect your cells from free radicals, which can play a role in heart disease, cancer and more.
- The Adrenal Doctor: this is a blend of powerful adaptogens, which help with stress and antioxidants to keep our immune system thriving. It is also packed full of vitamins and minerals that work together to help with sleep quality.
- Magnesium Sleep Lotion: magnesium is important when it comes to building your immune system. It helps to keep you healthy and strong, able to fight against germs. This magnesium sleep lotion also promotes a good night’s sleep which is key to supporting your immune system.
- Organic Hemp Protein and Cherry Juice: there are plenty of vitamins that can give our immune system the boost it needs. Sometimes, we can’t get enough in our diet, which is where supplements come into it. This juice is blend of green superfoods & botanicals to improve alkalinity & balance the body from within.
Our immune system is actually quite complex – we need to make sure it is strong enough to fight off germs, but not so effective that it overreacts causing allergies and other autoimmune disorders to develop. It’s extremely important to make sure we are offering the right support to keep our bodies nice and healthy.
This is even more important during periods we might be indulging in the wrong foods more often – such as over the Christmas and New Years period. These four key supplements will help you maintain that essential balance in your body while you relax back and enjoy the holidays.